Thursday, January 13, 2011

Trials and Blessings

I noticed I missed putting away one of the grandchildren’s Christmas drawings that I have framed and hung at Christmas time--I think I will leave it up for a while. It quickly took me back to the season we all love and miss when it has passed. This was a difficult Christmas. My daughters and their families all came from the east coast and joined us and joined the family here. On Christmas morning I woke up with a dry throat and cough and by Christmas night I was very ill. The girls were here for 10 days and I spent 6 of them in bed. Discouraging! It seems my year has been filled with one illness after another ending with being diagnosed arthritis around Thanksgiving.

The one thing that those six days in bed gave me was a chance to talk to my Heavenly Father in a very deep and personal way. I was afraid of what the future might hold for me as an artist, but continually, I felt the calming peace that comes through the Spirit. I had time to reflect on the many, many blessings that have guided me in this work of painting my Savior and was safe in the knowledge that I had been promised that I would see it through to the end. I suppose the greatest gift I was given this Christmas was another chance to strengthen my faith and to voice my deepest desires to my Father of my heart and this work. He knows it all already, but it is important for us to speak from our souls and for Him to hear from our hearts where we are on this journey.

I have no idea what the future holds for these hands of mine, but I know with out doubt that he will help me hold the paintbrush if needs be to finish this work. I love what I do, I am happy with my life and thankful for my trials that bring me closer to my Heavenly Father. May we all have a year of conversations with Him and often.

Liz Lemon Swindle

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Liz I am so sorry you were sick over Christmas!
    I have a bottle of cough syrup with your name on it! Give me a call....Heather

    ReplyDelete
  3. Would you be so kind as to post a picture of yourself here? It would be nice to know your face as well as the faces of both great and ordinary people from the past.

    ReplyDelete